The European Capitals of Culture initiative is designed to:
- Highlight the richness and diversity of cultures in Europe
- Celebrate the cultural features Europeans share
- Increase European citizens’ sense of belonging to a common cultural area
- Foster the contribution of culture to the development of cities.
In addition to this, experience has shown that the event is an excellent opportunity for:
- Regenerating cities
- Raising the international profile of cities
- Enhancing the image of cities in the eyes of their own inhabitants
- Breathing new life into a city’s culture
- Boosting tourism.
Background Notes on European Capital of Culture
(CAE-European-Capitals-of-Culture-2015.pdf - 161.09 Kb)
This program was set up to contribute to the rapprochement of the people of Europe on the 13th June 1985 by the European Council and again driven forward by Melina Mercouri.