Designed to help artists navigate the risks they encounter, such as persecution and/or censorship, so as to enhance the understanding of artists’ and cultural actors’ work as human rights defenders, Artists at Risk Connection has developed a practical guide entitled “A Safety guide for artists”.
On February 3, 2021, a group of artists and experts gathered to celebrate the launch of the ARC guide at a dynamic round table. The conversation built on the Special Rapporteur’s 2020 Report and explored how art can be used in the struggle for human rights and how artists can be best protected against human rights violations.
About the speakers
- Karima Bennoune: UN special rapporteur in the field of cultural rights
- Shahidul Alam: photographer, writer, and human rights, activist
- Natalia Koliada: co-founding Artistic Director of Belarus Free Theatre (BFT),
- Helena Nassif: Director of Culture Resource (Al Mawred Al Thaqafy)
- Julie Trébault: ( moderator) director of the Artists at Risk Connection
The video was first streamed live on Artists at Risk connection’s Facebook page on February 3, 2021, at 4:00 pm.
Find the guide in three languages ( EN – FR – ES) down below
The guide first appeared on the Artists At Risks Connection website.